I have been reading Homer Hickam's autobiography Rocket Boys (also called October Sky) for about three weeks now. I know that this sounds like I have been reading this 350 page book for three weeks now, and I have, but what people do not know, is that this book (to me) is what I have come to call a Reader's Block. As I have been thinking over this book and the interesting concept that has come about because of it, I wondered how I should present it in this blog. And I decided I would do it with a picture (see below.) If you are having trouble reading the captions (as you probably are,) just click on the picture to view an enlarged version.
This picture, which I designed, shows the problem of "the Reader's Block." I have labeled the various parts of the picture to show the purposes of the various symbols. As is shown in the picture, the book (in this case Rocket Boys) serves as a sort of dam for the river. It prevents the reader from reading all the books that they want to read. That is the situation I have been in for the past three weeks. As is shown in the description of the book in the picture, it is a book that is long and that cannot hold the reader's attention. When I first picked up this book, I was excited to read a book about rockets and building them, but now that I am around page 220, I have found that this book is only 20% or so about rockets. And as for launching rockets, I would say less than 1%. This book may be my least favorite book I've read. I actually look around the room at times because I am so bored. I don't like the plot, individual scenes are boring, and I think that the part I dislike most is the fact that the author hasn't made me care. If one of the rockets in the book misfired and destroyed the city and everyone in it, including the Rocket Boys, I would almost be happy. I just really don't care for the characters, don't like the storyline, and think that the book goes off of the main theme way too much, to the point that barely any of the book is actually about rockets. I, as a reader, generally accept writing as being worth reading, even if I am not very impressed with the plot, but as I am reading this I do not suggest this book to anyone. I think that this may be in part because it is preventing me to read some books that I am dying to read (including Mockingjay,) but even with this put aside, I still do not suggest it. I have placed this on my Shelfari shelf, and rated it a 1 star even though I would have given it a 0, but then people might think I hadn't read it yet. You can view my rating for this book, and many other books here on my blog (Dobby's Lobby) at the bottom of the page, which I think is a first for Honor's English blogs this year (oh yeah.) If you want to know how to add your Shelfari shelf to your blog, or add a poll, just talk to me at school, reply to this post or email me. Although, it is not too difficult to figure it out, and it would probably not be hard to add it to your blog. You just look under design. Sorry for getting off topic. I just thought I would mention that. If I have learned anything from this experience of the Reader's Block, it is probably that if you really do not like a book in the first 25 or so pages, drop it immediately so that you do not end up two thirds of the way through the book, and have this problem.
*Note to Mr. Thompson:
Just to save you some time, there are 664 words in this blog post, unless you believe that "a picture is worth a thousand words." Then there are 1664 words. ( - :

I'm Mr. T's intern, just so that you don't think this comment is from some random creep.
ReplyDeleteI've never really thought of it as a "reader's block" as you have said, but I completely understand what you are talking about. It happens to me a lot of the time, but it isn't always because I can't get into the book. Sometimes I will start reading something else and when I come back to the first book I find that reader's block firmly in place.
I seriously need to see how you do all these things with your blog I have no idea, I guess if I took the time precisely one week of sitting on there trying to see the triggers, then maybe I could figure it out but as of right now I don't have that much time I'm learning more everyday now..
ReplyDeleteI'm in your online class and just wondering about the blog. But yea you should show me how to do all these things with your blog.