
Sunday, February 13, 2011
More Third Term . . .
It seems like half of me is thinking when will third term be over, and the other half is thinking I can't believe it's almost midterm! It has been a relatively uneventful school week besides a perfect score on an Algebra II quiz. But there has been plenty going on besides school. Mainly Science Olympiad and piano. I was feeling pretty good about Science Olympiad this week, because of our great success at the district invitational, and am still feeling good even though I pretty much destroyed my last bottle rocket. It was a foot longer than the really good one that I launched, and it seemed like it would work really well, but we got the paper from a different craft store, and it turned out to be really flimsy, so the cone would just bend, and it wasn't stiff enough. Also on Saturday, I took the ACT. It was pretty good I think (at least compared to the SAT.) I think I did pretty well in English and Math. Much of yesterday I devoted to designing a tower for the Science Olympiad Towers competition. It might sound easy, but there are many requirements and specifications that you have to follow. The tower itself is tested to hold up to 15 KG, and your score is the weight that it holds in grams squared/ the weight of the tower in grams. As I was designing, nearly none of my good ideas were working based on size specifications. But then I realized that the curved sides of the Eiffel Tower would actually fit the required size parameters. So I have designed kind of an idea tower so far, and I'll have to see how it works with all the weight. It's going to have to be very light. Apparently some teams have got their towers down to about 5.5 grams and can still hold the 15 KG. That's really an amazing feat. So that is what we're up against. I also finally got a book from the library on Thursday. The Arctic Incident. The sequel to Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl. But I am almost certain I will not have the time to read it because of all the other stuff going on, not to mention that I have to read A Tale of Two Cities for Honors English. Not quite the fantasy thriller that The Arctic Incident will likely be, but I'll see how I like it when I am finished with it. In Junkyard Challenge we are now building a ramp like thing that a ball will be able to go down. There are many ways to go about doing it, but we think we've found a good one. Hopefully, since the regional invitational is coming up in a month or so. And after that, the state competition. I am really excited for any competition. Hopefully I can get up my grades to looking decent before midterm. They could really use some work. Anyway, good luck to everyone reading this with you grades as well (and don't forget to answer the poll at the bottom of the page. It could really use some answers.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment