Saturday, October 9, 2010
Random reading
This last week, I was able to finish The Chosen, my Honors English book. After reading Rocket Boys, by Homer Hickam, for three weeks, this was a great change! In my last blog post I talked about how much I was enjoying the book as I read it, and now that I have finished it, I still agree with my previous post. I usually do not read realistic fiction, or much else besides fantasy and science fiction for that matter. But this is probably one of the best realistic fiction books that I have ever read. I thought that the plot was exceptional for the purpose of the book, and my favorite part was probably the amazing writing style of Chaim Potok. The story behind the chosen is that of a young boy named Reuven Malter. Early on in the book he becomes part of an unlikely friendship with a local boy named Daniel Saunders. On first sight, the boys are enemies, but they are drawn together by an incident that seems like it would do anything but be the foundation for a friendship. The story goes on about their lives and interactions, and includes a lot of history as well, as the story is based around the time period of World War II. I really enjoyed this book, but I want give away any more because I have already probably bored you with my last post. So now I will talk about something else. How about what I am going to read next? Mockingjay. I have heard so many mixed opinions on this book. People seem to fall into three categories opinion wise. Some people liked Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and really did not like Mockingjay. Some liked the full trilogy and really liked Mockingjay. And some just didn't like any of them. I feel like much of the reason I am excited to read this book is because I am excited to find out which of these groups I fit into. I am sure that some of you that are reading this blog have already read the book, and know how it ends, but here is my theory. After having read Suzanne Collins other series I have decided that I think Mockingjay is going to have some tragic ending, where at least several of the main characters die, if not all. I am basing this opinion of Suzanne Collins anti-war book Gregor and the Code of Claw, where (to not give anything away) some really main characters die, and the main character goes off and is depressed. What a nice ending. Anyway, that is my guess as to what will happen. Hopefully by the time I post again I will have completed the book and have plenty to say about it. Thanks again to everybody that has completed my poll, and who have commented on various posts. It is really cool to get all of this feedback. Thanks also to everyone who have looked at my Shelfari and seen all the books that I am dying to read. Well, I guess I had better get started.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment