Sunday, January 30, 2011
Bottle Rockets and Some Other Science Olympiad Stuff
It seems like all of the last few posts that I have made on this blog start our like any other blog post, and end up describing some Science Olympiad event or experience. Maybe that is because the district competition is this coming Saturday. Since I didn't really have any exciting school experiences, besides the Science Olympiad assembly, I think I'll just talk about that. I currently still have five events (luckily, since I have been competing for a spot in the majority of them.) The ones I am in for sure are Optics (a testing event on light with a laser shoot portion) and Write it Do it (kind of a technical writing event.) I am competing to get into Towers (self explanatory,) Junkyard Challenge (impromptu building event,) and Bottle Rockets. I will also be in Dynamic Planet at district, since no one else signed up. Anyway, so I'm working hard to get into Towers, Junkyard Challenge, and Bottle Rockets. I think my chances are medium to low to make towers. I would be likely to make it, but I don't have any materials to build a tower with right now, which will probably put me behind, but we'll see. Junkyard Challenge is probably my favorite event that I am unofficially in. And I will know if I am in it officially by the end of the week. Many of you may remember in a previous post where I described my Junkyard Challenge bridge that won our small competition. The test to see who is on the team will be who can make the best bridge at district (this Saturday.) But this time everyone will be able to copy my idea, and really they will. So by Saturday, I have to make the idea good enough to win me a spot on the team. And now, for bottle rockets. Before yesterday, I had almost no chance of making the Bottle Rockets team. Of the varsity members competing, I was probably a middle candidate. But that isn't good enough. Yesterday I launched my most recent rocket (The Bumblebee.) I called it that because the nose cone is bright yellow. As I was driving there, I was hoping that it could get a time of eight seconds. The competition is based off the rocket that can stay aloft for the longest time. When I got there, I saw the spread sheet of times, I saw I was down in time by quite a bit, so I knew I had to do well. And I did much better than I had hoped for. Eighteen and a half seconds. That one launch put me back, if not at the near top, of the running. So really, Science Olympiad hasn't been going badly. I just hope we do well at the upcoming district competition. Besides that, school has been going pretty well, even though I haven't read a full book for a while. I want to read The Arctic Incident next (see Shelfari shelf at bottom of page.) Hopefully by my next blog post I will have done well at the district competition, and will have started the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment