
Sunday, May 15, 2011
The Storm Before the Storm
3 days left. Ever since November, I have been preparing for the day. Science Olympiad National Tournament: Madison, Wisconsin. Hundreds of hours are leading up to seconds of competition. This week has been basically crazy. Everyday. School, Piano, Olympiad, repeat (with the occasional game of Phase 10 (-: .) Anyway, basically, I know that if I don't do something in the next 2 days, it won't be done. And I still don't feel ready. In Optics on Monday, we got even better at the laser shoot. It is hard to judge how prepared we are for the testing portion of the event, but I think that we will do pretty well. It is just going to come down to the laser shoot, and pure luck. In Junkyard, we could do as well as medaling (with some work,) or as bad as 50th. If the event is tower, probably 20th-30th. If bridge, probably top 10, if I get some work in on it tomorrow. If cantilever, top 40, but I plan to work on that tomorrow. If ramp, probably top 20-30. If catapult, top 40, but I don't know if that can be helped. If bouncer, anywhere from top ten to top fifty. I haven't really tested our new idea much. In Bottle Rocket, I am expecting a score in the top 30 (if things go well, but I don't know exactly how I will do. The wind is too inconsistent of a variable.) In Towers, it really depends how today's test goes. If it works well, maybe top 20, but as bad as top 40. And in Write it Do it, I think that it really depends on what the model is, and a lot of other variables, like how tired my partner or I are, or how many parts of the model there are, or even my position in the description room. But I think we have a good chance at the top 10 (though we could be as bad as 30th or 40th.) So that is Science Olympiad. So, just imagine in the next 2 days doing the following: Typing up Optics Notes and attending an Optics meeting, testing a bridge for Junkyard, as well as a bouncer, and a cantilever device. Then add building fins and part of the nosecone for the bottle rocket, and building two 50 cm tall towers designed to hold 33 pounds, with the knowledge that you will almost definitely break one of them. Then add on two full days of school, 2 hours of piano practice, and five days of homework, including at least one CRT test. Now you understand better how the next two days will be going. So basically, I just survive two chaotic days, and I'm off to nationals. Obviously easier said that done, but it's worth a four day trip testing stuff, going to workshops, and competing in one of the most competitive science competitions in the nation. Yeah, it is crazy, but although the next two days will be crazy, I am so excited for nationals.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment