Sunday, December 5, 2010

Science Olympiad and Some Other Stuff

Science Olympiad has finally started. In one week, I have been building things out of legos, describing abstract objects, designing bottle rockets, and planning to build a complex fifty centimeter balsa tower. And I am so happy about it. My week went pretty well. I got a good score on my Algebra II quiz, which made me very happy. Then again, I also had a pretty insane yearbook experience (not giving anything away.) Well, I found out what events in Science Olympiad that I am officially in. Write it Do it, Bottle Rocket, Junkyard Challenge, Towers, and Optics. I will give a short description of each.
Write it Do it: There are two people on a team. One person is given an object that is really bizarre and can be made of just about anything. They have twenty or so minutes to write  about it, describing how to build it. Then the description is given to the team member who has not seen the object and they have to recreate it. It is really hard, but really fun.
Bottle Rocket: You have to build a bottle rocket with a curved top that can stay aloft in the air the longest time. It is cool to see how  the rockets work, and how you have to change them to make them more aerodynamic.
Junkyard Challenge: Prior to the competition, you get to bring a bunch of stuff (like paper cups, tape, styrofoam stuff, paper, etc.) Then, when you get there, they tell you something to build, and they see who can build the object to do the given task. Example: They might tell you to make a catapult that can land a ball in a cup, and whoever can do that would win.
Towers: This one is probably my personal favorite. You build a tower that is at least fifty centimeters tall, and that fits a bunch of different parameters. The equation for the score is the amount of weight it can hold in grams (up to fifteen kg) squared / mass of tower in grams. I am really excited to build my first tower (hopefully later today.)
Optics: Optics is an event with two parts. A testing part, to test you knowledge on light, visibility, the light spectrum, and other things like that. Then a second part, where you aim a laser off some mirrors to hit a target.
Anyway, so those are my events. I have plenty of work on those (a bottle rocket to make, a tower to build, need I say more?) , not to mention that literature letter. Also, I am still reading The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, and it is really weird. I am excited to see how it ends. Thanks to all the people in the unofficial writing group. I think that I will post something soon. At least soon it will be Christmas break. I am excited for that.


images-1.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment