
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Science, Spanish, and More
This week was pretty good. Mainly because I got to get back into working on my Science Olympiad events, but for many other reasons as well. On Monday, I went to Optics, and my partner and I got the laser shoot down to a science. Directly afterwards, my whole family went down to my oldest sister's violin recital, which I thought was pretty entertaining. Some of the cool songs they played were Rodeo by Arron Copland, and The Trilogy (a sort of medley with Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Indiana Jones.) I actually thought that it was a pretty good recital. On Wednesday, I was happy to get back to work on Junkyard Challenge, and we practiced the tower challenge. The tower that we constructed from paper, straws, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, cups, bowls, plates, etc. was so tall I could barely reach the top to balance the ball on top. And it was actually able to hold the tennis ball! Anyway, after school I went to Write it Do it, where we actually got a perfectly built model. It had about 30 pieces and was made of legos. On Thursday nothing much happened besides homework and more reading in The Time Paradox. On Friday, I had to wake up before 6:00 to make it to the school by 6:30. ME and my Spanish class were going to BYU for the foreign language fair. It is sort of like a competition for foreign language students. The buss ride there (though it was about an hour and a half) was quite eventful. Mainly because I had to memorize a 20 or so line poem . . . in Spanish. Yeah, memorizing is hard, but in Spanish, when you don't even know what you are memorizing, it becomes next to impossible. When we got to the school, I went to my competition (which was poetry.) It was in a greenhouse type room, and there were a bunch of kids reciting poems everywhere. I did pretty good on it (very good for having memorized it on the way there.) So that was good. Then we went to this thing called Espanolandia (which is like reality town in Spanish.) It was pretty cool. They played Spanish music, had really cheap Spanish food, and if anyone spoke English, nearby shop owners would start shouting "Ingles! Ingles!" Then the "police" would drag the poor student off to the prison. Ouch. But it was kind of funny. So it was pretty fun. On Saturday, I went up to my grandparent's house. Me and my grandpa intended to begin work on our most recent Science Olympiad tower design, but we found out that we couldn't make the triangular tower because of two conflicting rules. That was rather disheartening, but it was alright, because we thought up an idea which will likely be stronger and will be about .1 of a gram lighter. So that was really great. So is the fact that Easter is coming soon . . . and the end of school . . .

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment