
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Spring? Break
Well, if you have noticed, I forgot to do my blogging last week though I think it is a wonder that I could forget after having been writing blog post all of this year. So, to make up for it, this post is going to be doubly long (yay.) But it is not a bad time for this to happen. I've got a full week off to fill the 1000 word requirement. Though I didn't go anywhere for spring break or do much of anything out of the ordinary, spring break was still great. A whole week off of school. Anyway, my spring break really started last Thursday, since I was in the foreign language plays (for Spanish) on Thursday and Friday. So really, I was excused from all of my classes. I only performed for about an hour out of the day. And the rest of the time I spent eating lunch in the courtyard, finishing all of my homework and finishing reading The Lost Colony, the fifth book in the Artemis Fowl series. So, it was a nice transition before the break. On Monday, I worked a lot on my designs for my new Science Olympiad tower design. I was planning on working on building it this last Saturday, but I'll talk about that more in a minute. I worked a lot on Science Olympiad stuff over the break, and I felt sort of anxious, because there are only about 5 weeks until nationals in Wisconsin, and I have so much to prepare. Hopefully the tower design works out. If it does, it will be nearly ready for nationals. I am also planning to try a new bottle rocket design, but part of me thinks it may not work, and we will have to stick with the backslider/ super roc bottle rockets. Not to mention the fact that of the 6 Junkyard Challenge of events, we are probably only nationally prepared in 2 or 3 of them. I also worked on some reading this week. I am currently working on reading the next Artemis Fowl book, The Time Paradox, and I also have a copy of the last one, The Atlantis Complex. So that has been good too. On Tuesday or Wednesday, my sister had her birthday party with her friends (though it wasn't her actual birthday day.) That was good, because though I did not go to the party (my sister and her friends were getting their nails painted or something) I still got an ice cream sundae. On Friday, we all cleaned out our rooms, which wouldn't have taken too long other than the fact that Science Olympiad stuff (probably five rockets, and a pile of destroyed tower parts) was cluttering the closet. That afternoon, we decided to go to The Cheesecake Factory for my sister's actual birthday. There was around an hour weight, so me and a different one of my sisters stayed and waited, and the wait was actual more like between 30 and 45 minutes. When we finally ate, I had one of the best meals ever. The Club Sandwich. It is like a normal club sandwich, but with 4 or 5 layers. I couldn't even fit it in my mouth. And it even came with fries! So that was a pretty great meal. Yesterday, we had planned to build the Science Olympiad tower design. But the balsa we planned to use for part of it did not arrive, so we will have to wait until next week. However, later on that day, I had the experience that was probably the highlight of my week. My family and I got to go to the birthday of my tiny baby cousin. He is super cute and little. So we got to go meet with our relatives and celebrate his birthday. It was a monkey theme birthday. So they had a monkey cake, monkey cupcakes, and more. It was really fun, and while eating the cake, my cousin got chocolate all over himself. I'm excited for next week. For the last two weeks I've got to say I have definitely been missing my Science Olympiad event meets, and next week we are getting back on track. So that's great. We've got a lot left to do before nationals to prepare for the competition (in two ways . . .) The competition, like the event itself. It is going to be so cool in Wisconsin! Well, and the competition (like the other teams . . .) We've got a long ways to go. It's amazing what kids come up with, when you have 6,000 teams competing nationally, and you have to try out just to get on a team in the first place. For example, a competitive score in the "Towers" event at nationals (this is an estimate) will probably be about 5 g, and he winners will definitely be under. On a 50 cm tower! For those of you who don't know metrics, 5 g is so light, if you drop your tower, you could take your time and catch it on the way to the ground. You could practically measure it compared to feathers. And rockets . . . people will get flights of probably 40 seconds on a non retrieval water rocket! So, obviously have a ways to go. And Junkyard Challenge . . . don't even get me started . . . the things some people can do . . . anyway, I am so excited though. There is only a month and a half or so, and I will be gone competing halfway across the country. Like the greatest vacation ever . . . On a bit of a tangent, I can't believe it went from hot and sunny to snowing! It seemed like spring had finally come before the blizzard of snow. And it seems the snow is just going to keep coming. At this rate, it's going to be snowing on the Fourth of July . . . wow. At least it will make for some nice photos . . .

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment